Amala's Courageous Story
Double your impact through
December 31st, up to $200,000!
Like many young girls growing up in poor villages in Nepal, Amala was vulnerable to trafficking.
Her family had few economic options. At age 11 she was pulled out of school to contribute to their expenses. She met a man who promised her a job and persuaded her to travel to Kathmandu, Nepal. Instead, she was taken into India by a trafficker and sold to a brothel in Kolkata. Amala was sexually abused by customers multiple times a day.
After being held captive in the brothel for a year, Amala and 18 other girls were rescued.
Amala was free, but the trafficker was still out there.
Social workers deemed Amala’s home environment unsafe, so she was brought to a children’s home operated by a partner of JVI.
She focused on rebuilding the childhood she had lost.
Nine years later three girls went missing from a local village in Nepal.
A suspected trafficker was apprehended in the case. When a JVI team member showed Amala the suspect’s police photo, she identified him as the same man who had trafficked her.
Amala courageously stepped forward and agreed to file a complaint against him.
JVI then appointed a lawyer and walked with Amala through each step of the court process, providing the support she needed to boldly testify about the horrific ordeal she had endured.
Amala and JVI won the case.
Her perpetrator, a notorious trafficker, was sentenced to 15 years in jail and a substantial fine. Significantly, the case was won in a village in Nepal that is a major source district for traffickers.
Because of Amala’s courage and the commitment of JVI and its partners, justice was brought to dozens of girls who had been trafficked and many more whose lives are now spared because he is behind bars.
Today, Amala is continuing her education and hopes to earn a degree in social work, where she can make a difference in the lives of other young girls and women.
Amala's name and photo changed to protect confidentiality.
Become A Justice Impact Partner & Double Your Impact Through December 31st!
It is through your giving that:
- legal remedies are made available for the vulnerable and oppressed;
- perpetrators are prosecuted for human trafficking and other forms of extreme injustice;
- government officials are administrating the law with greater sensitivity on behalf of the victimized;
- community members, churches and businesses are receiving advocacy training to promote access to justice for thousands of vulnerable poor;
- the poor and oppressed are receiving greater protection of their rights and experiencing the opportunity to live a more abundant life;
- and survivors of human trafficking have access to safe housing, job skills, counseling and education.